Friday, February 10, 2012

Recipe Swap: Potato Dauphinois


Can I tell you all how happy I was to hear that the recipe swap was potato themed!Potatoes are one of my favorite things.. ever. Mashed potatoes are my favorite, but let me tell you these potatoes may be dethroning them! A big shout out to So Tasty, So Yummy for giving me this recipe. When I saw the picture for these potatoes on her blog I got really nervous, hoping that I could recreate. This dish is perfect for a dinner party because it is so fancy, but is made with such little effort! That is my kind of side dish!
Toby helped me put these together because I only had twenty minutes before I had to go to spin, so we were in hyper mode! I was freakishly washing and peeling potatoes and Toby was slicing the potatoes on the mandolin like a mad man. Do yourself a favor and purchase a $5 mandolin. It is so difficult to cut the potatoes the same width free hand.  We tag teamed those potatoes like no other. I would note, I do not think that you need to peel them. The skin might add some nice texture. We also decided to mix the sweet and white potato. When this first came out of the oven I kept picking the potatoes off the top because they were so good! Do yourself a favor and make this for your next dinner party. Since the potatoes need to chill in the fridge for eight hours you can make these the night before. Then the day of the party you literally pop them in the oven for ten minutes. Well, that was easy!Here is the recipe from So Tasty, So Yummy!


Potatoes Dauphinois

1 ½ cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
½ teaspoon each: dried thyme, salt and pepper
5 russet potatoes, peeled
1 sweet potato, peeled (can substitute russet potato)
3 cloves garlic minced

Heat oven to 400 degrees.



Combine cream, milk, thyme, salt and pepper in a large pot. Cut russet potatoes and sweet potato into 1/8 inch slices, dropping them into the cream mixture as they are sliced. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are evenly coated and cream mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.

Sprinkle garlic over the bottom of an 8 inch square buttered baking pan. Transfer potatoes into pan in layers, placing sweet potatoes in center layers. Pour remaining cream mixture over. Bake until potatoes are golden brown and tender, about 30 minutes. Cool about 1 hour. Cover, refrigerate until firm, at least 8 hours.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes into rounds with 3 inch ring molds (I used a regular ole can and it worked great). Bake on a parchment lined (or Silpat) baking sheet until they begin to bubble, about 10 minutes.


6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed them! They are a favorite of mine for holidays since they look so pretty and can be made in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really did! They were so easy and the fact that they are better to make in advance makes it even easier. One less thing you need to worry about for dinner! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look SO impressive. I'm glad to hear they're easy to make. Definitely trying these soon.

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dauphinoise are my favourite! I love them with a ton of garlic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious and would be PERFECT for entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are FABOULOUS make ahead potatoes that are perfect with a sit down dinner - add some cheese when assembling. The cut out part is fun and looks so festive. Will make over and over.

    ReplyDelete