Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Asian Slaw



First off, Happy Valentine's Day Everyone! Hope you all enjoy this special day of love with someone you love! Let's not forget, love that special person in your life all year round, not just Valentine's day! To that, Happy Valentine's Day to my wonderful amazing husband, Toby. I love you bean. You are the best not only for putting up with me, but for supporting me and my baby for the moment, this blog. I love you!



Ok, back to business.....When I found this recipe for an Asian style slaw on Once Upon  Chef I was super excited because it is so versatile. You can eat it by itself, in a wrap, or add some chicken, shrimp or steak and call it dinner! It is packed with nutrients and protein from the edamame and is a yummy addition to any meal. You can buy the edamame frozen and shelled so it adds a ton of nutrients for not alot of effort on your part. The dressing for this is KILLER and I am already thinking of other ways I can use it. I was thinking sesame noodles or a marinade for shrimp or chicken. Come to think of it, it would also be a nice addition to chicken lettuce wraps. In addition to peanuts, I added some toasted sesame seeds for added crunch. This is also perfect for potlucks or picnics. Enjoy!



Ingredients
For the Dressing
¼ cup honey
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut butter ( I used Teddy Natural)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Sriracha sauce (Thai hot sauce…optional)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced
For the Slaw
4 cups prepared shredded coleslaw
2 cups prepared shredded carrots (or grated in food processor)
1 red pepper, thinly sliced into bite size pieces
1 cup pre-cooked, shelled edamame (available fresh or frozen)
2 medium scallions, finely chopped
½ cup chopped salted peanuts (you can also leave them whole)
½ cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
Directions

1. Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in medium bowl. Stir until peanut butter is dissolved. Set aside.
2. Combine all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss well. Let sit at least 10 minutes so vegetables have a chance to soak up the dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (I usually add a bit more salt but go by your own taste). Serve cold.



1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post :D
    Love the recipe as well - looks totally oriental!!!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugars Muesli Bars

    ReplyDelete