Friday, February 17, 2012

My New Favorite Snacks!


So since I have been running around so much lately, I thought I would share with you some of my new favorite snacks!Sometimes I find myself only having time for a snack before class or working out.  Both of these snacks are healthy and utterly genius and delicious. I have come to the conclusion I cannot go through the day without snacking in between meals. Actually, nutritionists say that healthy snacking throughout the day keeps you full and stop you from overeating later. So if you are running around all day like me , snack away!

The first snack is popcorn. Who doesn't like popcorn? I LOVE movie popcorn, but popcorn swimming in butter and salt....not so good for my butt. God, I love that butter though. This is a really easy and inexpensive way to make popcorn on the go. All you will need are brown paper bags ( like lunch size bags), popcorn kernels, oil, and salt. I have read in tons of articles that there are a ton of chemicals in microwaveable popcorn bags that you buy at the supermarket. Um..Gross. Plus, microwaveable popcorn is like $4 for 4 bags. Not much saving there. Buying kernels in bulk at the market is SO CHEAP and you can make whatever size portion you want ( for just yourself or a crowd.)This is so easy to do. Let me show you how...







1. For one serving- take a handfull of popcorn kernels and put them in a brown paper lunch bag. Put this bag into another ( double bag) incase the oil comes through.







2. Pour a tsp ( or less) of oil into the bag and pour in whatever spices you want. Some popular combos I like are lime zest and chili powder, red pepper flakes and grated cheese, and cumin and garlic powder. Roll up the top of the bag and shake kernels around to distribute spices and oil.





3. Pop in microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds or more depending on your microwave and you are done! Hooray! No chemicals and individual servings of popcorn for less money!






                                           Coming up Next- White Bean Guacamole Dip


I love guacamole. Avacado is so delicious and it also has really good fats in it. I saw a recipe for white bean-avacado spread and I was intrigued. The addition of white beans just makes this more healthy adding a ton of fiber. I mixed one small can of white beans and mash with a fork. Next add half of a avacado and mash. Mix together with some jalapeno and you have an awesome spread that you can put on a sandwich, wrap, or dip veggies in it. It was really great!

Happy Snacking!!!

5 comments:

  1. I've been obsessed with popcorn as a snack lately. I always make it on the stove top though, I'll have to try this-less dishes to wash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew you could make home-made microwave popcorn? Thanks for sharing that idea with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your so resourceful these days! I'm impressed

    I want homemade popcorn next weekend.... and pretzel bites lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. These snacks look perfect for school - thanks for the great tips and ideas :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugars Muesli Bars

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can pop popcorn without the oil & using only one paper bag - even healthier!

    ReplyDelete