Monday, February 6, 2012

Baked Bang Bang Shrimp


So I have seen this recipe on Pinterest a few times now. It temps me every time. So I finally gave in. Apparently this dish is at a restaurant called the Bonefish Grill? I have never heard of that restaurant( there aren't a ton of chain restaurants in Rhode Island I guess,)but the dish looked delightful so I figured I would give it a whirl.


Traditionally the shrimp in this recipe is fried. I like to challenge myself so I decided to bread and bake the shrimp. Success! They came out amazing. Huge thank you to Panko breadcrumbs... my savior in cooking. Make sure to not overcook the shrimp if baking. I kept them in on 400degrees F for about 15 minutes. Just keep checking them to make sure they are cooked without overcooking them. It is very easy to overcook shrimp. I served my shrimp with a vinegar based coleslaw to cut the richness of the sauce. It was a really nice combo. You can also serve it with the bibb lettuce!

Here is the recipe I followed from Food Network.com:

Ingredients

For the Sauce:

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • Kosher salt

For the Shrimp:

  • Vegetable oil, for frying
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/4 pounds small shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Bibb lettuce leaves, for serving
  • Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish

 Directions ( For frying)

Make the sauce: Mix the mayonnaise, chili sauce, honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl; set aside.
Prepare the shrimp: Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl. Whisk the flour, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper in another shallow bowl.
Working in batches, dredge the shrimp in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, dip in the beaten eggs, then return to the flour mixture, turning to form a thick crust. Fry the shrimp in the hot oil until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain the oil temperature. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
Toss the shrimp with the prepared sauce. Arrange the lettuce in a shallow serving bowl or on individual plates. Top with the shrimp and garnish with scallions.
I wish I used a bit less sauce, but it was delicious




10 comments:

  1. o yum!! This looks awesome. I love breaded any kind of shrimp and this recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! We have Bonefish Grill's here in TN and it's a really good restaurant (as far as chain restaurants go). The bang bang shrimp is always a must. I love how you baked the shrimp. I'm definitely going to try your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been baking shrimp like this once a week ever since you gave me the tip! Love it

    Last time had it over homemade weight watchers fried rice it was an awesome little MYOTO meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really delicious. And I agree katie & Shannon, I will be making my shrimp like this from now on also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so naughty! and that honey chilli saucy? right up my street. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When baking the shrimp, did you just use the Panko Breadcrumbs or did you use the same ingredients as when frying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You use the same ingredients.. except the oil ( used for frying) if baking! Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  7. Sauce is no bueno. Planned on an app for a big party and I'm so glad I tried it ahead of time. Mayo overload!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You say "I decided to bread and bake the shrimp. Success! They came out amazing. Huge thank you to Panko breadcrumbs" although the recipe does not call for the panko...did you add that somewhere? Replace flour or cornstarch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy! Yup I used Panko. They are my favorite breadcrumbs! Ns I think you could def replace the cornstarch with flour!

      Delete