Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pasta with Shaved Brussels Sprouts & My New Obsession


First off, I was awarded another Liebster award from a fellow blogger! Please check out her blog, Go Bake Yourself. It is amazing and I want to make her desserts every day!! She is a young blogger who blogs far beyond her years. Not to mention....she calls Australia home.  Hooray and thank you Choc Chip Uru!

Secondly, I am not afraid to admit it. I love brussels sprouts. And call me crazy, but I always thought they were called brussel sprouts? Clearly I have been mistaken. Toby and I eat "brussels" as we refer to them at least twice a week. We usually saute them as a side dish with pancetta, lemon, and Parmesan cheese. Can you see why we are obsessed? I am not entirely sure how I never Incorporated them into a main dish before, but one night I was really craving pasta so I went with it. Spaghetti is on of my favorite pastas so I chose to shred the "brussels" so they were easier to eat with the pasta. I used whole wheat spaghetti, but feel free to choose whatever pasta you like best. And if you like things spicy, douse this dish with red pepper flakes like me. I LOVE IT.

Can I also share with you my new obsession? Toby and I were at Bed, Bath, & Beyond the other weekend and I found this stone with a chef on it that claimed to never let pasta water boil over. Done. My pasta water boils over constantly because I have a small and extra large pot. For $3 I thought it was a deal. This little guy is my new best friend. Please go out and get one if you always have this problem!

I didn't exactly follow a "recipe" for this. I cut up the brussels sprouts thinly and sauteed them until tender with some olive oil,salt and pepper.

While your pasta is boiling take some starchy cooking water and add to brussels so it starts to make a light sauce. You can even add vegetable or chicken stock. Keep adding water until it is at the consistency you like. ( The starchy water thickens the sauce. Yum)

You can also toast bread crumbs in a saute pan. They add really great crunch and texture to the dish.

Drain pasta, and add to saute pan. Toss with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese then serve! Might I add, pancetta would be a great addition to this dish.



8 comments:

  1. That does look amazing. Shaved brussels? Who'd have thought of it! And all that parmesan, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so yummy firefoodie. You have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as you know i also love me some brussels

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really interesting! Whole wheat pasta sounds like a great choice for this combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harold-your Brussels are some of the best. And Marjorie -I totally agree. The whole wheat brings some earthy notes. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All. Time. Fav. Vegetable. YUM. I have a couple of recipes for these little beauties on my page at www.busygirlgoodfood.blogspot.com. Thanks for sharing! Will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo! Congrats on yet another Leibster!! I love the brussels idea...seriously one of the most delicious veggies out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered brussels sprouts about a month ago, and I am obsessed! I LOVE them! Where have they been all my life? What a clever idea to shred them and put them with pasta. I'm making this. And congrats on the 2nd Liebster! You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete