Friday, August 3, 2012

Roasted Tomato & Pesto Pasta


I had been craving pasta for the past few days. Spaghetti especially. Have you ever realized that people have certain aversions to specific types of pasta and love others? That always is so funny to me because pasta is always made of the same ingredients. For example, my husband loves bowties, but I hate them. I love spaghetti and I have learned many people don't. Whaaaaaat? I can't imagine not liking spaghetti. Either way, if spaghetti is not your thing, feel free to use whatever pasta you prefer in this dish.

The basil plant in my yard has shot up in the last few weeks and it is huge!I wanted to make a quick pesto with this annoyingly large surplus of basil.You can even use store bought pesto if you would like.  I also love roasted tomatoes in the summer. They are super easy to make by just throwing them in the oven and they get super caramelized and sweet. Plus when they burst, it is almost like a sweet tomato sauce to toss with pasta.  This could not be any easier to put together so try using your summer veggies to whip up this fantastic dish!

Roasted Tomato & Pesto Pasta 

















Ingredients: 
Pesto ( home made or store bought)
1 carton cherry tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
Grated cheese for topping
1 pound of spaghetti
1 tsp of olive oil

Directions:

1. Slice cherry tomatoes in half  and put in a oven safe pan along with chopped garlic and olive oil. ( you can also do this on the stove top.) Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Tomatoes will burst.

2. While tomatoes are in the oven, boil pasta to package directions and make pesto if not using store bought. I used this pesto recipe and it was delicious.

3. When pasta is al dente, drain. Take tomatoes out of the oven and add pasta to the pan. 1 cup of pesto ( eyeball what amount looks right for the amount of pasta) and mix together.

4. Top with loads and loads of cheese and serve!

3 comments:

  1. This dish is the best of summertime all in one! You make me want to cook tonight! Here's a tip to extend summer just a little longer. Store bought pesto is expensive so when you have a dearth of basil you can make double or triple recipes of pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then you can take it out by cubes and use it in your pasta sauce(gravy)in the winter and remember the great taste of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dish does look good! I think the aversions come not from the taste but from the texture. I generally prefer larger, more toothsome pasta like ziti but just last week I had a major spaghetti craving and now Brian's asking for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, who doesn't love a great tasting simple pasta dish, especially when I've been at the beach all day! I haven't met a pasta that I don't like, but my favorite is still spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete