I was watching my favorite guilty pleasure The Chew recently and I saw them make their own spin on coconut shrimp. Remember those shrimp caked in coconut flakes and fried to perfection with a sweet dipping sauce? Yup, me too. I think they are delicious. I did however like the idea of making what's already good better.
Instead of breading the shrimp in coconut flakes and frying you marinate the shrimp in a concoction of goodness that includes coconut milk, lemon grass, sirarcha and curry. And that sweet sauce we all know and love? That's in this recipe too.Add some mango chutney and you have yourself one hell of an appetizer. I actually paired it with a yummy cabbage slaw and ate it as a wrap, but that's just because I didn't want to share them with anyone. I even liked this marinade so much I soaked chicken in it also. Yum!
And the verdict of this new rendition of coconut shrimp... delicious! The shrimp smelled and tasted delicious. It had a nice mild coconut flavor and to add some extra zing I topped it with lime zest. This is a great departure from run of the mill appetizers so if you are in the mood to be nothing less than extraordinary make this appetizer tonight!
Coconut Shrimp with Mango Sauce
- For the Coconut Shrimp:
- 1 pound Large Shrimp (16-20 size - shelled and deveined with tails removed)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Garlic Puree
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 stalks Lemongrass
- 3 tablespoons Toasted Curry Powder
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- For the Mango Salsa:
- 1 jar Mango Chutney
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- Splash Soy Sauce
1. Pre-soak skewers in warm water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Combine the coconut milk, roasted garlic puree, sriracha, lemongrass, toasted curry powder, salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse until a smooth puree is formed.
3. Skewer shrimp and pour marinade on top. Marinate from two hours to overnight.
4. Preheat grill or grill to medium-high. Grill the shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
5. For the Mango Salsa: Combine mango chutney, sriracha and soy sauce in a small bowl. Serve alongside the shrimp.