Monday, July 2, 2012

Faux Fried Grilled Chicken


Huh? So is this fried chicken or grilled chicken? Both! I saw this recipe on the Food Network and I was intrigued.The Gist: You marinate bone in-skin on chicken overnight and then stick breadcrumbs on it then grill it. You with me? Basically the fat on the chicken melts and makes the bread crumbs crispy, but you still get a yummy smokey flavor from the grill. Best of both worlds? Heck yes!

I am always looking for a reinvention of fried chicken. I have been oven frying it to cut out some fat and don't get me wrong, it is delicious, but I think the grilling aspect of this recipe takes it to another level. I try to avoid my kitchen in the summer because I noticed for just being two people, my husband and I accumulate a ridiculous number of pots, pans, and dishes every day. I am not kidding. It is an insane amount of dishes. So, if you are like me and don't feel like dirtying any pots or pans fire up your grill!

The trick to this recipe is keeping your grill on medium low. Any higher and the bread crumbs will burn and you will have quite a mess on your hands. Also, the marinade is mainly mayonnaise. I used low fat mayo, but don't fear if you are a hater of mayo ( are there such people?) I say that because my husband hates mayo and I made sure to not tell him about the marinade because you can't taste it. It does however make the chicken super moist. I used a mixture of legs and thighs. Feel free to use what you like best. I don't know how  this will work with chicken breast because there is no fat to crisp up the chicken.

Faux Fried Grilled Chicken

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt
  • 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs or legs (about 2 1/4 pounds)
  • Vegetable oil, for brushing
  • 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions: 

1. Combine the mayonnaise, chili powder, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.


2. Preheat a grill to medium low. Brush the grill grates with vegetable oil. Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, then add the chicken, turning to thoroughly coat.

 3. Grill the chicken, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes per side.

1 comment:

  1. Humm, I'm intrigued by this recipe. Wonder if I can get my brother-in-law to fire up his grill so I can try it? Probably if I feed him, too!

    ReplyDelete