Monday, July 16, 2012

Chicken Marsala Ravioli with Asiago Chicken Meatballs


I would have never  thought to put chicken marsala in ravioli form, but after trying them I have clearly been missing out! This recipe is another signature recipe for Buitoni's chicken marsala ravioli. And what a recipe it is! I decided that clearly this ravioli did not need much doctoring since everything you need for chicken marsala is inside these little pillows of love. I was especially excited by the asiago and portabello mushrooms that were in the filling. I wanted to play off of those flavors to make asiago chicken meatballs to go with this meal.


I used ground chicken breast for the meatballs, but feel free to use whatever ground chicken you usually find in your market. The ground chicken breast is lower in fat content ( because it doesn't include the dark meat) so I chopped up some of the mushrooms to add some moisture to the meatballs because the last thing you want is dry meatballs!. Or if you have to hide veggies from your kiddos this trick works too. I might try it for my husband( don't tell him.).  The other discovery I made is that as the meatballs were cooking the asiago cheese made the meatballs have beautiful color when I was baking them. Score!

Chicken Marsala Ravioli with Asiago Chicken Meatballs




















Ingredients: 
1 package baby bellas or 3 large portabello mushroom caps
1 package Buitoni Chicken Marsala Ravioli
1 cup marsala wine
1 lb ground chicken breast
1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese plus more for sprinkling
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper
2 cloves of garlic

Directions:

1. Chop 1 large mushroom cap or 5 baby mushrooms finely and add to medium sized bowl. Next, add ground chicken, chopped garlic and asiago. Mix well.

2. Form into meatballs and saute on medium high for 5-6 minutes until the meatballs get brown. Finish meatballs off in the oven until the juices run clear(10-12 minutes.)

3. In a separate pot, boil ravioli to packaged directions.

4. While meatballs are baking, chop and saute rest of mushrooms. After 3-4 minutes pour marsala wine into pan and reduce. If it is reducing too quickly add more wine or chicken stock.

5. When meatballs are cooked, add to mushrooms and sauce. When pasta is finished, strain and add to pan to toss in sauce.

6. Transfer to a dish and top with asiago.


3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I have made it an adventure for 2012 to learn to make pasta... wonder how hard it would be to make homemade ravioli. Great recipe inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds like an awesome meal...and so unique! I just LOVE unique!!! Great post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it! The meatballs were really yummy and the ravioli were amazing!

    ReplyDelete