Looking for a fresh, new idea this summer that takes less than twenty minutes to make? Look no further ladies and gents! Buitoni has asked me to come up with some recipes for their new line of pasta which includes the oh-so-decadent Butternut Squash Agnolotti. This pasta's filling is really delicious and was a perfect match for some spicy sausage and crispy kale.
This agnolotti is filled with butternut squash, ricotta, parmesan and amoretti cookie crumbles. Could it get any better? Why yes it can! Pasta like this does not need many more ingredients to make it delicious so adding sausage and kale was an easy decision. What I like about this recipe is that it is so versatile and fast cooking. You basically can cook everything while the pasta is boiling. Now that's a perfect weeknight dinner!
For this dish you can use sweet or spicy sausage, but I think the spicy sausage gives a nice contrast to the sweet filling of the angnolotti. And the kale. Oh the kale. My new favorite green. If you wash and chop the kale in advance there will be less prep time the day you cook. I hope you enjoy eating this pasta as much as I enjoyed creating a recipe for it. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Agnolotti with Sausage & Kale
1 package Butternut Squash Agnolotti
1-2 links spicy pork sausage (6 - 8 oz, depending on how large they are)
1 cup washed, chopped Kale
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Boil anglolotti in a medium sized pot to package directions
2. While pasta is boiling, take sausage out of casing by running your knife down the side cutting the casing.
3. Saute sausage until cooked through in a medium sized pan. Using a slotted spoon take out sausage and transfer to a paper towel, but leaving oil rendered in pan.
4. Put chopped kale in the pan to saute in the sausage fat (I know, yum!). Saute for 2-3 minutes or until kale wilts.
5. When pasta is al dente, drain and toss in pan with kale and add sausage. If more oil is needed add 1 tsp olive oil. Transfer to a plate and top with parmesan cheese.
Voila! An easy dinner with bold flavors!