Oh hello avocado fries! You are my new favorite snack!I once read an article that said Mayan's thought avocados held mystical powers. Well folks, after eating these babies, the Mayan's have made me a believer! Ok, stop salivating.First, let's recap some of my highlights of what I ate this week for WIAW!
Snack: I went to a benefit for the House of Hope and I had the most amazing potato pancake with a creme fraiche and salmon. OMG it was amazing. I had about 10. I guess this could be dinner?
Dinner: Fish Tacos. Enough said. They are my favorite meal. 99.9% of the time I will order them if they are on a menu. I usually like the fish grilled, but I was in a fried mood so I was more than happy to eat this. There was guacamole under the perfectly fried fish and a great fresh salsa.
Snack again: Egg Biscuits!! Italians Unite!! I love egg biscuits, especially with icing and sprinkles. Oh man. My weakness.
Back to the Avocado Fries!!! I bought two avocados this week and I had no idea what to do with them. Sure, I could have make guacamole, but I decided to officially "one up" guacamole. The crunchy outer shell with the creamy center is divine. I actually think they might be just as easy to make as guacamole is!
I just kind of made up a recipe using usual breading and baking techniques that I use for making eggplant. I have come to the conclusion that you really don't have to fry things to get them crunchy and delicious. Repeat after me," The oven if my friend." You can serve these with any kind of dipping sauce. I think ranch would be exceptional. I decided to go with a spicy mayo. It worked great.
Amazing Baked Avocado Fries
- Canola oil for frying ( if you are frying) if baking cooking spray is fine
- About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups panko or regular bread crumbs
- 2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in. wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- 2. Cut avocado into slices ( like fries)
- 3. Put eggs and panko in separate shallow plates. Dip avocado in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then panko to coat.
- 4.Place avocado slices on a sheet pan ( if you have a wire rack use that) and bake until golden brown ( about twenty minutes)