Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sweet Potato & Grilled Corn Salad


I am so excited to tell you about my new favorite salad! No, there is no lettuce involved. I randomly came up with the idea because I had some sweet potatoes and corn on hand and I figured,Why not?Both of these ingredients are sweet ( obviously both of their names start with sweet) so I paired it with roasted jalapeno and tart lime to balance out the flavor.

To make life easy I chopped the sweet potatoes very small and roasted them in the oven. You can totally grill them too, but I have burnt potatoes via grill before so I didn't really want to try that again this time.Afterall, I was starving.  I did grill the sweet corn, which I think brings out even more of its flavor than just boiling it. You can season the potatoes with whatever spices you prefer. I seasoned with cumin and chili powder for a mexican kick. A little cinnamon and chili powder might be interesting too. When the corn is done I stood them up in a bowl and cut the kernels off, which works out perfectly. That is actually how I always eat my corn because honestly, you always get corn in your teeth when you eat it off of the cob.Am I right?

I think this salad is super versatile. You can serve it over quinoa,kale,pasta or just eat it on its own like I did. I actually added some Greek yogurt and green chili hot sauce to mine and it was ahhhhhhhmazing.

Sweet Potato & Grilled Corn Salad


Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes ( skin on) cubed
1 jalapeno ( chopped and deseeded if you don't like too much spice)
2 ears of sweet corn or 1 cup frozen and defrosted

Dressing
1 lime ( juice and zest)
1 bunch cilantro
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Directions: 
1. Roast chopped potatoes and jalapeno at 400F for 25 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, wrap the corn in tin foil and grill over medium heat for 10 minutes ( turning every few minutes.) When tender, cut kernels off of cob into a large bowl.
3. When sweet potatoes are tender add to bowl of corn and mix.
4. In a separate bowl add lime zest and juice to olive oil and chopped cilantro.
5. Add dressing to the corn and potatoes and mix while they are still warm .Serve warm!
6. Enjoy!




1 comment: