Ever wanted to be transported to a Moroccan bazaar in ten minutes? Cue in this amazing and quick salad from Rachael Ray. This recipe is so versatile and you can whip it up in ten minutes or less! Can it get any better?
Toby and I have been dying to go to Morocco for a few years now and when I made this salad I imagined myself roaming the streets of some Moroccan bazaar eating this fresh and delicious salad. This is perfect for summer picnics because there is no mayonnaise in it. It also is so light and fresh. There are so many different flavors going on in this salad. You have the bright,tartness of the lemon, the sweetness of the golden rasins and the crunch of the carrot and cashews. And did I mention this is healthy? You can a ton of protein from the chickpeas and nuts. You can even add a dollop of Greek yogurt to bump up the protein and creamy factor. Might I add, it is also fairly inexpensive to prepare.
This is a perfect side dish for summer so whether you are taking it on a picnic or serving it with some burgers for your family you will enjoy a new take on plain old salads. Did I mention you don't even have to turn the stove on for this side dish? Yeah, I knew you would like that.
Moroccan Carrot-Chickpea Salad
- 1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, coriander, cayenne and 1 1/4 tsp. salt; whisk in the oil.
- Stir in the carrots, chickpeas, raisins, cashews, chopped cilantro and mint; toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Top with the cilantro leaves.