Holy Protein! Lentils, quinoa, and chickpeas are a protein packed punch when combined in this delicious and simple soup. I appreciate dishes where there isn't alot of prep time, you don't have to stand by the stove for hours and is insanely delicious. This dish is all that and more.
I really don't think it could be much healthier ( or easier for that matter.) Since it has been rainy and cold in Rhode Island this week, this soup is perfect to make you nice and warm from the inside out! For this recipe you blend the lentils after they have been simmering and the result is a smooth, and thick sauce that is delicious! I love thicker soups and stews so this was right up my alley. If you aren't a fan of thick soups then just add more stock or water to thin in out. Don't skip putting a dollop of Greek yogurt and lime juice/zest on the top of this soup. It makes it so bright and delicious!
Also I wanted to share with all of you the new addition to our family. Our amazingly cute pug Meatball. She is only five weeks so we can't pick her up yet. We will get her in two weeks!So if you have a dog you can look forward to home made dog treats on the blog soon!
Spicy Lentil Soup with Chickpeas & Quinoa
§ 1/2 a red onion diced
§ A splash of sunflower oil
§ 1 clove of garlic chopped
§ a small knob of grated ginger
§ 1 tsp each of ground cumin, coriander, chillies and turmeric,chili powder
§ 1/2 tsp of ground cloves
§ 1 cup of red lentils
§ 2-3 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock
§ 1 can of chickpeas aka garbanzo beans
§ 1 cup of cooked quinoa
§ salt and pepper to taste
§ thick yogurt and chopped coriander to garnish
§ squeeze of lime juice
1. Heat the oil in a thick bottomed saucepan and fry off the onions on a medium heat.
2. Add the ground spices and stir until it becomes aromatic
3. Add the garlic and ginger and stir again for a few minutes
4. Add the red lentils and toss in the spice mixture for one minute
5. Add the chicken or vegie stck and cook on high heat till it comes to a rapid boil
6. Lower the heat and let the ingredients simmer for about 10-15 mins. Season to taste
7. Remove from the heat and blend using a stab blender or do it manually using a regular blender
8. Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas and let it simmer for another 5 mins
9. Take off the heat and stir through the cooked quinoa
10. Squeeze a little lime juice
11. Garnish with a dollop of thick yogurt and chopped coriander