Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fiesta Quinoa Salad



I Love Quinoa. If you take a look at my recipes page you can see there are a ton of quinoa recipes. If you haven't heard the facts yet quinoa let me tell you a little something. Quinoa is a sort of super grain. Quinoa has a nutty taste and a ton of fiber. I was on a brown rice kick for awhile, but after reading the benefits of quinoa I have broken up with brown rice like a bad ex boyfriend. Quinoa has anti-inflamitory properties, high in protein, and has some omega 3 fatty acids so if you haven't tried it yet, try this recipe! 


 Another one of my favorite foods is Mexican food! I love classic flavors that are in Mexican cuisine. I love the spiciness of the jalapenos, tartness of the lime, and light onion flavor of scallions. Feel free to throw in whatever you like into this salad. Black beans or garbanzos would be a great addition to this salad. I have a weird aversion to cold black beans so I omitted them. 

This salad is perfect for lunches or a side dish for dinner. I actually hate bringing cold cuts to work for sandwiches. Something about a pre-made sandwich grosses me out. So bringing salads that I don' have to heat up are perfect for me. Since there is no mayo in this salad it is also perfect to bring to a potluck or a picnic. 

Fiesta Quinoa Salad
Recipe from a Bachelor & His Grill

INGREDIENTS:
-1 Hass Avocados, Halved / Seeded / Chopped
-1 1/2 Cups Water
-1 Cup Quinoa, uncooked
-1/2 Cup Sweet Corn Kernels
-2 Roma Tomatoes, Diced
-1 Red/Orange Bell Pepper, Diced
-1 Jalapeno, Sliced Thin
-1/2 Sweet Onion, Finely Chopped
-1/3 Bunch Fresh Cilantro Leaves
-2-3 T Lime Juice
-1 T Olive Oil
-1/2 t Ground Cumin
-1/2 t Paprika
-1/4 t Granulated Garlic Powder, to Taste
-Kosher Salt / Cracked Black Peppercorn / Cayenne, to Taste
Directions:
-Cook Quinoa to packaged directions. Transfer into a bowl. 
-Mix Quinoa & Black Beans with Corn, Tomato, Pepper, Jalapeno, Oil/Lime, & Seasonings.
-Toss in Avocado & Cilantro with Quinoa / Prepared Veggies.
-Season Additionally to Taste & ENJOY!




2 comments:

  1. I love these types of grain salads and yes, they're perfect for taking to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. could you somehow make this into a hot baked casserole? maybe omit the avocado?

    ReplyDelete