Monday, October 29, 2012

Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon & Parmesan


I love Brussels Sprouts. It might actually be one of my favorite veggies. My husband who is a picky eater even loves them! Brussels sprouts are no longer the boiled gross smelling veggies your mom ( no offense moms out there) used to make. They are so tasty! Give them a quick saute and a squirt of lemon juice and they are delicious!Now, for another way to prepare this delicious veggie.

I decided to make this dish because I needed to bring a dish to my sister's house for my dad's birthday. He loves brussels sprouts and I thought this was an interesting take on regular ole sauteed brussels sprouts. If you shave brussels sprouts you don't actually have to cook them. I would say they taste like cabbage ( like in a cole slaw.) This salad is delicious because it is so easy to prepare and has such a light, clean flavor. It is perfect to serve with a heavy meal like lasagna or pasta with a cream sauce because it cuts the richness of the main dish. It is all around just delicious. You can even add more fall flavors to it like hazelnuts, crasins and pomegranate seeds.

Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon & Parmesan

Adapted from James Beard Foundation 




















Ingredients: 
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
   Juice and Zest of 1 lemon
    1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 quart Brussels sprouts, shaved thinly by hand or on a mandolin
    1 cup shaved  Parmigiano-Reggiano
    1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley

Directions:

Put the mustard in a bowl. Slowly add olive oil while whisking. Add the lemon juice. Finish with the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
To prepare the salad, toss brussels sprouts, peanuts, cheese and parsley in a salad bowl with the vinaigrette to your taste.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also a Brussels sprouts fan and I usually add Parmesan to mine. Haven't tried lemon, though...

    ReplyDelete