Monday, September 24, 2012

Newport Food & Wine Festival


I am in a food coma. I am equally in a wine coma. Honestly, it's not a bad place to be. I just got back from the Newport Food & Wine Festival in gorgeous Newport, RI. This amazing event was in the backyard of the Marble House Mansion. That's right people. Former vacation home of the Vanderbilt's with the most amazing view of the ocean.Sounds like a perfect place to sip amazing wines and savor the most delectable cuisine Rhode Island has to offer.


When I stepped into the tent I was completely overwhelmed with the smells of delicious food and the sheer number of wine vendors. Where do I even start? I started my nosh fest at the 1149 table and ate the most delicious pulled pork taco and pineapple salsa. Wow! How delicious. The taco shell was super crispy and the pork was not too sweet. The pineapple salsa added such great bright flavor.

I then found myself to the Buitoni table where I was able to sample their new chicken marsala ravioli! This made me smile because I was actually asked to brainstorm some recipes for this same ravioli! Boy was I happy to try some again. This ravioli was simply dressed with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. That's all it needed. How easy is that?
My next stop took me to Blackstone Catering where I found what may have been my favorite dish of the night. This dish was pure heaven: Cured salmon with field greens topped with toasted pistachios, citrus vinaigrette and orange segments. What a punch of flavor!I could have had 5 plates of it. The salmon melted in my mouth. I may need to recreate this dish at home.

And last, but not least: Dessert. These cupcakes were orgasmic. Did I just go there? Yes, I did. Both my husband and I just looked at each other after one bite and mutually understood in no words, these were the best cupcakes we had ever tasted. I stuck with my old reliable red velvet and my hubby ate a chocolate peanut butter cupcake with chocolate ganache. Seriously???If you are ever in Boston( or DC) please go to Georgetown Cupcakes. I know I will.
  

Are there any great food & wine festivals that are local to you? Tell me about them!

2 comments:

  1. Yum ... just yum! But ... about that wine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. I drank some wine. orrrr alot of wine. It was all amazing. I was most intrigued by the vendors that just purchase wine from vineyards and sell them at a deep discount due to the surplus of grapes. I tried a $200 bottle of cab that they were selling for $25. Not bad!

    ReplyDelete