It is so easy to make these muffins healthy. I originally found a recipe from Julia's Album that I wanted to work with. I tweaked the recipe, cutting the sugar and adding quinoa and oat flour instead of AP. I always try using whole wheat flour or oat/quinoa flour if I can because it has more protein and fiber. A word to the wise though.... If you use non-AP flour don't use it for the entire flour mixture. I did 50% quinoa flour and 50% AP flour. I noticed when I use all whole wheat flour the muffins come out dense and kind of gross. The point it to make them healthy and delicious, not healthy and inedible.
Don't feel like buying a whole package of quinoa flour or oat flour? Easy! Measure a half cup or either raw quinoa or raw oats and grind in a coffee grinder until you have a fine grind. Simple!
The best part? They are also made with Greek yogurt and no butter! Score! I used 0% plain Chobani, but feel free to use a different flavor if you want. The yogurt made these muffins super moist and fluffy. Also feel free to use any berries you want. I happened to inherit a blackberry bush in our new house so I used those and raspberries. What a delicious combo! Enjoy!
Very Berry MuffinsMakes 12 muffins
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quinoa or oat flour ( or whole wheat)
1/3 cup of coconut milk ( or whatever milk you have on hand)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
2 cups mixed berries (raspberries& blackberries)
1 teaspoon of sugar ( for berries)
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin cups with muffin liners.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together flour, white sugar, salt, and baking powder.
3) In a separate large bowl, add vegetable oil, 2 eggs,milk and Greek yogurt and whisk to combine.
4) Add flour mixture to the liquid mixture and mix just enough to combine.( DO NOT OVERMIX)
5) In a separate medium size bowl, combine berries with 1 teapsoon of sugar. This lets the berries macerate and some liquid will come out. Do not discard it. Add to the mixture and lightly toss.
6) Fill muffin liners and bake for 20 minutes.