With the help of the Couch-to-5k app I have done it! For those of you wanting to run, but have no idea how to start this app is perfect. It is a 9 week plan of workouts and tells you when to run and walk. Does it get any easier? Anyway, I am six weeks into the 9 week plan and I completed a 5k Saturday! I didn't even walk. I didn't wheeze,or die for that matter. Oddly enough, I can't wait to do another one!
Oh, and yes, I have a recipe for you. A perfect side dish for the fall! Sweet & Spicy Potatoes. Sweet potatoes are so great for you. They have a ton of vitamin A,B 6, and iron. Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Once you douse them with maple syrup,marshmallows, or butter they aren't actually healthy anymore. So here is a recipe to enjoy the sweetness of sweet potatoes,while adding a savory kick. I actually prefer savory sweet potatoes! Add some sriracha for spice, lime juice for a tart contrast Greek yogurt to kick up the protein! The result- sweet and spicy and DELICIOUS! I ate these with lemon marinated grilled chicken. Perfect side dish!
Sweet & Spicy Potatoes
3 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 to 3/4 cup of low fat coconut milk
Zest and juice of a lime
1 teaspoon of sriracha
1/2 cup 0% Greek yogurt
salt & pepper to taste
1. Peel and chop sweet potatoes. Drop into boiling water and boil for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
2. Drain potatoes and pour into a large bowl.
3. Add coconut milk,lime juice and zest and sriracha.
4. Mash with a potato masher or with an immersion blender ( I did that and it worked perfectly.)
5. Add greek yogurt and salt and pepper. Mix with a large spoon.