|Apologies for the busted photos. They just looked messy!|
I have a butternut squash obsession. I had no idea where this obsession came from. I have always liked butternut squash, but never realized its versatility until now. Last week I made gnocchi with butternut squash and pancetta and today I am making enchilladas with it! Now that's versatility!
I really enjoy enchiladas because they are cheesy, covered in a spicy sauce and can be filled with anything! I was really excited when I came up with the idea of kale and butternut squash. The slight bitterness of kale, sweetness of the squash and sharpness of the cheddar makes this dish a knockout of flavor!Feel free to add any type of meat to this dish if you would like.And I added a peblano pepper for extra spice, but if your family prefers more mild you can add just a green pepper. This is also a perfect dish to make ahead. You can make the filling the night before and assemble the enchiladas the day you want to eat it.Now that's easy.
Butternut Squash and Kale Enchiladas
Ingredients:1 Package butternut squash, cubed
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 head of kale chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 peblano pepper chopped
10 flour or corn tortillas ( taco sized)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1/2 tsp each of cumin, chilli powder, and paprika
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese ( shredded)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Greek Yogurt for garnish
1. Saute chopped onion, squash, peblano and garlic on medium heat until tender with olive oil.
2. While veggies are sauteing add cumin, chili powder and paprika. Add Kale until it wilts.
3. Blend the ran of rotel tomatoes until smooth.
4. When mixture is tender and kale is wilted spoon mixture into tortillas with a small amount of cheese and roll .
5. Spoon tomato mixture into bottom of the pan( so tortillas don't stick) and start putting rolled, stuffed tortillas into pan ( seam side down.)
6. Repeat until there is no mixture left ( depending on what tortillas you bought, you will have some left over.)
7. Top with sauce until enchiladas are covered and top with remainder of cheese.
8. Heat through for 15 minutes on 350F or until cheese is melted.