Mexican lovers rejoice! I have found the taco that tickles all the taste buds! Hot,sweet,crunchy and tart. This taco has it all! As a lover of Mexican food, I could not help, but make a summer twist on the usual taco. To brighten up the flavor I used chopped pineapple! Sounds weird? Fruit in a taco? Trust me, it's delicious! It actually gives the turkey some caramelization and balances out the spiciness of the jalapeno and chipotle powder.
I also used ground turkey breast because hey, it is summer and we are all trying to look like a Sports Illustrated Model in our bikinis this summer. Red meat lovers, feel free to make this with ground beef. I have before, and it is delicious. I usually don't bother using ground turkey ( not breast) because it has just as much fat as lean ground beef. I was so surprised to learn that. In that case, I will have the beef. Feel free to add in extra veggies to this dish. You can really add in whatever your family likes.
I served these with whole wheat tortillas, which were a perfect accompaniment, but you can serve these in lettuce cups or over rice too!The lime crema could not be any easier also. Of course, I used Greek yogurt for my sour cream because they basically taste the same to me ( why buy both???) and thinned it out with some lime juice and topped with lime zest. The cool Greek yogurt really melds well with the spicy turkey and sweet pineapple. I also added a sprinkle of feta cheese, but feel free to add whatever cheese you have on hand.I also think some sort of slaw would be delicious on top of these!
Spicy Turkey & Pineapple Tacos with a Lime Crema
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and minced) or less
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 12-ounce bottle of beer or 1/2 jar salsa ( for some liquid)
- Taco shells of choice
- Greek Yogurt
- Juice and Zest of one lime
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil and the ground turkey. Cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes and then add jalapeno pepper and pineapple and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the spices, tomato paste, beer( or salsa) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until liquid has reduced slightly.
2. Mix 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt with lime juice and zest to thin out yogurt.
3. Top tasty taco vehicle with crema and fixings of your choice. Taste and enjoy!