Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sausage Kale and Goat Cheese Frittata



Looking for a super easy breakfast dish that you can make one day and feed yourself for the whole week? I know I do. I appreciate sleeping as late as I possibly can every morning. If my breakfast is already made for me I will be way less likely to stop and get a bagel, croissant or even worse not have breakfast at all. Frittatas( basically an Italian omelet) are super easy to make, you can fill them with whatever you want.My favorite are filled with veggies and protein ( and sometimes potatoes!) What's not to like?

I decided to fill this frittata with what I had on hand which was cranberry chicken sausage from Trader Joe's, pre-shopped kale, left over broccoli and my favorite goat cheese. So what I usually do is make this frittata on Sunday for the whole week. I usually allot 1-2 eggs per day You can even use a mixture of eggs and egg whites. I then cut the frittata into 5 wedges and individually wrap them in aluminum foil. Pop them in the fridge and throw them in the oven each morning ( or a skillet) on broil to heat them up. Done!

What would be in your frittata?



Sausage Kale and Goat Cheese Frittata


Ingredients: 
2 handfuls of pre-chopped( & washed) kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
7 whole eggs
3 cranberry chicken sausage links chopped into bites( From Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella 
1/4 cup chopped broccoli
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Beat eggs and season well. 
Heat oil in a small cast iron or other ovenproof skillet and cook kale and sausage 2 to 3 minutes until tender. Add eggs and cook 1 to 2 minutes until almost set. 

Dot with goat cheese and broccoli, then sprinkle with mozzarella. 

Place under broiler until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.

Shake pan ( WITH MITTS ON) to make sure the center doesn't jiggle. If it does, just leave it in for a little longer. 

Shake the frittata around in the pan and cute around the edges with a knife. Gently slide frittata out of the pan onto a cutting board.Cut and Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment