Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Outside the Kitchen: Fort Lauderdale,FL


Fish Tacos From Aruba Beach Cafe
Hey there! Happy to be back blogging for you guys! Last week I went to visit my mom and stepdad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida! What a much needed vacation. I was getting sick of 20 degree New England days. I am so over you, Polar Vortex. 85 degree weather, a pina colada and a good book was just what the doctor ordered. 
My first order of business... Pina Colada with a rum floater! And by rum floater I got a shot of rum on the side for $1.50. Score!A beach view was a great addition.

My next stop was Vic & Angelo's in Del Ray. What a great area with super cute shops and awesome eateries. My mom told me Vic & Angelo's was one of her favorites so I knew we had to stop there. Their menu had everything, pizza,sandwiches, pasta and the super comfy chairs can't be beat. I can never say no to pasta so rigatoni bolognese was a no brainer. This dish was so amazing. The pasta was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was rich and delicious. Did I mention it was topped with a huge dollop of ricotta? HEAVEN on a plate my friends. 

Bolognese Goodness

And the Italian train continued on to Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. This pizza joint is owned by Dan Marino. There might even be one in your state! If there is go! Their pizza is ahhhhhmazing. Warning: because it is coal fired it is kind of well done. So if you like super chewy doughy pizza, this is not it. I love thin crust pizza so I loved it. We had 1/2  margherita amd 1/2 sausage and rabe pizza. Both were delicious! They are also famous for their coal fired ribs and chicken wings.


Pizzaahhhhhhh

Not pictured ( I ate it too fast) was an amazing meal we had at Houston's. If you get their early ( like before 4pm you can get a seat outside.) We got there at 6pm so we dined inside.Whatever, it was still really nice.  My mom's favorite menu item is their home made veggie burger. I saw at least five people eating this dish so I am pretty sure it is very popular. I had the double cut pork chop, which was by far one of my best meals in a long time. The salt brined chop was so tender and juicy a gal could cry. My mom opted for the grilled chicken salad this time, which I snuck a few bites of. It was so flavorful and delicious! 

I had such an awesome time in Fort Lauderdale. What is your favorite spot there? I need more places to try!


2 comments: