The Waldorf Salad was created at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in 1893. That is one old salad!I like it because of the mixtures of textures and flavors. Typical flavors in the salad are walnuts,apples,grapes and a creamy dressing. I decided to kick the flavor up a notch by adding some blue cheese,center cut bacon ( lower in fat than regular bacon) and using tangy Greek yogurt mixed with maple syrup.The flavors are life changing. The trick to making this low in fat is keeping the bacon,maple syrup and blue cheese in low quantities. Each of these foods are high in flavor so you don't need very much of them to add flavor. I also added kale as the lettuce in this recipe to bump up the nutritional content. No one eats iceberg anymore right?Anyway, here is to making 2014 an amazing year!
Waldorf Kale Salad
( Serves 2)
2 cups chopped kale
1 granny smith apple chopped
1/2 cup seedless red grapes halved
1/4 cup walnuts ( toasted)
2 strips center cut bacon ( chopped)
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup 0% Greek yogurt
1 tsp Real Maple Syrup
1 tsp olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
1. Chop kale,grapes,bacon and the apple and set aside.
2. In a small pan saute bacon on medium for about ten minutes or until crispy. Spoon onto a paper towel to drain. You can also toast the walnuts in a pan for a couple of minutes on low to add more flavor.
3. While the bacon is cooking, mix all ingredients in dressing with a whisk in a small bowl.
4. In a large bowl add kale,grapes,apple, chopped bacon and blue cheese crumbles.
5. Pour dressing onto of salad and toss until kale is coated.