Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Saying Goodbye


Sorry I haven't been around for a week guys. My grandma had not been doing very well the last couple weeks. We made the decision to move her to hospice where she could be comfortable and not be hooked up to a ton of beeping machines. I am sad to say she died last Friday. This insane for me to even comprehend. First, let me start off by saying how selfish I am. I have had this woman in my life for the last 28 years of my life so it is hard for me to even think about her not being here. I know many people never get to meet their grandparents so I know how lucky I am to have known her. 
Did I also mention she was 100 years old?I mean really, who lives to be 100? She got a letter from the President and even Willard Scott ( anyone remember those Smuckers/Today Show segments?) I know how lucky we all were because for being 100 she was in good health, was still sharp as a tack and always asked what I was cooking. She was also a twin, which makes my entire family think I will have twins some day. I also recently learned she had a heart defect so she didn't attend school until she was nine because the doctor said it was too dangerous. He also said she would never live past the age of ten. Well doc, you got this little lady all wrong.

I have so many food memories with my grandma. Being the typical Italian family we always had fresh pasta that she made, home -made meatballs and a potato and egg frittata every time we went over there!I spent every New Year's Eve at her house as a kid and each year it was the same. I would send her my must have food list: 
  1. Steak
  2. Mashed Potatoes
  3. Salad ( which she mixed with her bare hands)
  4. Pickles
  5. Salt & Vinegar Chips
  6. Doritos
We never made it to midnight, but still had a ton of fun. She loved cooking for us whenever we went over to her house. Even when she was in her 90's she would always ask us upon entering her house, " Do you want me to put on a pot of macaroni?" Oh Grandmas, always trying to make us fat.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you a little bit about her life because she was such an amazing lady.Who are your best food memories with?



6 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear. I'm sorry for your loss, but happy for your wonderful memories! What a treasure you have to think back on ... because you're right! Many folks don't have extended family memories and you have ... smiles like hers and macaroni and her standard lines! What gold! She actually reminds me (from her photo) of my Great Aunt Verna Barnes who got up every morning to make a standard farmer's breakfast for my (Great) Uncle Winn and any and all who happened to be visiting ... perfectly fried eggs, crisp bacon, fried potatoes and onions and peppers, toast, tomato juice, hot coffee and apple pie. Yup. Apple pie every freakin' morning! So good and so old time!

    Enjoy your memories and keep her traditions! Virtual hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan! Apple pie for breakfast every morning! That is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Leanne, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's even more difficult when you lose someone around the holiday's. Your memories of your grandmother brought back memories of my own family. I am also Italian and originally from RI and it seems we grew up the same way. I think the best way to honor them is to keep the traditions going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathryn! I'm so happy to hear that more Italian Rhode Islanders grew up the same way! And I agree. I cannot wait to keep these traditions going when I have kids!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry for you loss. I lost my Dad a year ago. He was 96 years young and I miss him every day. Hold on to your memories and your grandmother and you will have her forever in your heart.

    ReplyDelete