Sunday, March 3, 2013

Foodie & Non-Foodie Fall In Love. Now What?


I was digging through some old articles that I had saved and found a great article that describes my life perfectly. Can a foodie and non-foodie eat in peace? I would classify myself as a foodie. Yes, I take  pictures of my food, yes I have a food blog, and think of food 24x7.  My husband on the other hand would be perfectly happy eating the same meal every day and prefers his food plain. I have noticed that some people don't exactly share my love of food. In fact, I think they could care less about food.

 I can never understand the people who say they had cereal for dinner, hate cooking or just don't enjoy food. I just can't get on board that train. I think of food from the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed. I can't imagine life any other way. But what happens when a foodie and a non-foodie meet. Is it love at first bite or are you doomed to foodie pergatory for life?

 When I first met my husband he was eating cheetos for lunch and many of his meals consisted of steak and cheese sandwiches and pepperoni pizza. Although he is a plain Jane, no sauce, meat and potatoes kind of guy and I am a the spicier the better, dip anything in sauces and veggie loving kind of gal we have learned to make it work over the last five years. We actually cook separate meals almost every night, but we have found some meals that we both like over the last few years. I have learned to love making breakfast from him and he has learned to trust me when I say quinoa does not taste like fish eyes.What kind of eaters will our kids be? Who knows. I will certainly try to make them adventurous eaters.


What is your eating situation with your significant other? Both foodies? One meat and potatoes and the other fois gras freak? I want to know!

5 comments:

  1. My partner was content eating pastina and canned soup all through college (and past that!). I think my love of food and cooking has really rubbed off since we got together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing with my hubby and I! He is getting more adventurous the longer we are together!

      Delete
  2. My wife and I totally differ on the food choices we make. While we both enjoy food, it's the differences in how we enjoy it. She definitely likes to eat at the same places (sushi, Vietnamese) gets eats the same thing. I always try to get out of the box. But she chooses the same place so often, I go through the whole menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Jeff! If mu husband sees steak or pepperoni pizza anywhere on a menu rest assured he will be getting that. I have my favorites too ( anything Mexican. fish tacos etc) but love trying new things!

      Delete
  3. My wife wants to eat at her favourite restuarant all the time. She loves food as much as I do, but she gets stuck on her favourites. I try to get out of the box on most of it.

    ReplyDelete