I get my best ideas when I work out. I mean really, what else should you be doing when working out other than thinking about your next meal? There must be something wrong with that for sure, but for me it works. I usually come up with great food combinations or blogging ideas when I am pumping iron or getting my butt kicked in kickboxing class. This burger was a brain child of one such moment when I was sweating and I thought, I love cobb salad. I love burgers. I am going to make a cobb salad burger.
Cobb salads are great because it is borderline a hot mess because it is so many different textures and flavors, but somehow pulls it together in one yummy dish. The crispy bacon, creamy avocado, pungent blue cheese and chunky chicken makes this dish work somehow. I thought hard boiled egg on a burger would be gross so I went with a fried egg, which of course works perfectly with bacon and surprisingly good with blue cheese. I didn't serve this burger on a bun because it is a take on a salad, but feel free to eat it on a bun if you wish. This is also good if you are eating low carb. I only used one slice of center cut bacon per burger, ground chicken breast and 2 slices of avocado for each burger.No matter how you are eating, I know you will enjoy this dish.
Have you ever made your favorite dish into a burger? Tell me about it.
Cobb Salad Chicken Burgers
1 pound lean ground chicken
1/2 head of iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves
4 tablespoons of blue cheese
4 pieces of centercut bacon
1 avocado, sliced
1 tomato diced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp chives
1. Separate ground chicken into 4 patties. Do not overwork meat ( or it will get tough.)
2. Grill over medium high for 12-15 minutes or until juices run clear.
3. While burgers are cooking, bake bacon at 400 for 10 minutes until crispy.
4. Slice avocado and dice tomatoes.
5. Chop tarragon and chives and mix in with mayonaise.
6. Crack eggs separately in a pan then flip when whites solidify. I prefer runny eggs. If you do not, cook one minute longer.
7. Next assemble burger! Lettuce cup on the bottom, then burger. Next add mayonnaise, avocado, blue cheese tomatoes and bacon. You are now in cobb salad/burger heaven!!