Friday, January 20, 2012

Pizza Making at Gepettos and Some Random Grilled Pizza Tips

Grilled Pizza's  Progression to Yumminess

Can I just tell the world right now," This is the best Groupon I have ever purchased!" There, I said it. I found this gem on Groupon right around Christmas and I thought it would be a perfect gift for my best friend Brittany. The Groupon is for a grilled pizza making class for two and a five course dinner served family style. These classes run a few times a week, which is nice.Now, notice this blog post is entitled Grilled Pizza. There are a few places that are famous for grilled pizza. I believe on the Show Man Vs Food he came to Rhode Island and said grilled pizza started here. I don't know if that is true, but all I know is that if I was looking for grilled pizza I would come here.

Brittany and her Dough Ball

We started the class with all of the ingredients to make fresh dough and the chef walked us through the recipe. We then had a lump of dough that could make four grilled pizzas. We learned many cooking tips, which was great because I didn't realize there were so many differences in making grilled pizza as opposed to baking it in the oven. First off, you don't even let the dough proof before cooking. He showed us techniques for throwing the dough on the grill ( yes literally throwing) and even the technique of moving it every minute to compensate for hot spots. 

Mind you, we were doing this on a gas grill...indoors. And who knew you need to add cheese to the dough before sauce? The sauce can make the pizza soggy and it could rip. Genius. After the class, our group sat at a long table and ate a five course family style dinner, which was amazing. Calamari, penne ala vodka, grilled pizza, and my hubby's favorite dessert, tiramisu! 
Calamari.Penne Ala Vodka.Grilled Pizza.Tiramisu

This was such an amazing night. I highly recommend this class for beginners and even pizza pros. I learned so many tips from this class I want to fire up my grill right now! I have seen this again on Groupon since Christmas so if you see it- Buy it!You will have a blast.....and eat alot....and love all of it. 

If you don't live in Rhode Island feel free to make the dough at home!Here is the recipe they gave us.  Happy Grilling!

Gepetto's Basic Dough Recipe
3 1/2 cups flour
1T yeast
2T sugar
1/2 tsp oil
1 1/2 cup warm water ( between 95-115 degrees F)

Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. 

Add wet ingredients to dry. The dough should turn into a ball. ** If dough is too dry add one tablespoon of water at a time. If mixture is more like a batter, add more flower one tablespoon at a time.

After mixing, remove it and place it on a pizza tray. Portion the dough into four ounce pieces to produce a 8 in pizza. 
Roll the dough into balls ( eliminating any creases/folds) and coat with oil. 

Note: There is no rising time,punching down, or waiting for the dough to double in size. The dough is now ready to spread by hand. The dough can be refrigerated for 2-3 days or frozen.

Grilled Pizza Making Tips
-Fold circular rolled out dough into a half circle and throw on grill (tossing away from you) and then unfold when on grill. 
- After dough as been on for a minute, flip and add cheese then add sauce sparingly.
- Keep moving dough on grill to prevent uneven cooking. 










5 comments:

  1. I am so jealous - friends a pizza dough are a great combination :D
    I hope you had fun making and eating!!! Thanks for the tips :)

    Could you post the dough recipe?

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. All set! I added the recipe and tips to the actual post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great tips! I had no idea about the cheese and sauce on a grilled pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for adding the wonderful recipe :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete