Saturday, January 28, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Power Muffins



I am a huge fan of the muffin recipes from Cookinglight.com. They are usually really flavorful and healthy. I adapted this recipe from their Lemon Blueberry Muffins.  I really enjoy having breakfast pre-made for me so I can just grab them and go in the morning. This would be a really yummy recipe for a brunch also. You could even use mini muffin tins and make tiny muffins! Actually maybe that is a bad idea.... you may eat like 15 because they are so small. Either way, if you can resist not having a dozen mini muffins make them!

I substituted whole wheat flour in place of all purpose. Hey, sneak in nutrients when you can. Whole wheat flour will keep you fuller longer so if you have it.. add it! Toby and I have been on an almond milk kick lately so I added that instead of buttermilk. Buttermilk is actually lower in fat, but I like the unsweetened almond milk in it. If you have a milk allergy, feel free to add a substitute. For some extra pizazz I added a mixture of steel cut oats and sliced almonds to the top. I always keep a canister of steel cut oats. They are a great binding ingredient for a ton of recipes and add a nice crunch to these muffins. Try these muffins and you will not even know you are being healthy! Yum. Enjoy!


Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • Cooking spray

 

Cook Tip: Toss blueberries in flour so they don't sink to the bottom of the muffins!

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
  3. Combine buttermilk, egg, and rind; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries.
  4. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack to cool.



1 comment:

  1. I love blueberry muffins! I awarded you a Liebster Blog Award! Email me for details :-)

    ReplyDelete