Saturday, January 14, 2012

Outside the Kitchen: The Waterman Grille


First, I wanted to thank the NCCVB for making it possible for me to win their foodspotting contest. The Newport Restaurant Group gift card I won paid for this dinner, So those of you that voted for my dish- my stomach thanks you!



Atmosphere: When walking into the Waterman Grille, I was greeted by the scent of smoked bacon. Great start. The first floor of the Waterman Grille was bustling. The kitchen was open and looked like a well oiled machine. We were seated upstairs, which was quiet and cozy. Our waitress was really sweet and attentive. The menu is seasonal, which is always a good sign.

Food: First off, their bread was amazing. It was warm and had some sort of herb crust. Great start. The Waterman Grille has a great wine list and some great drink selections. For dinner,  I decided on the award winning crab and jalapeno chowder. I don't know how many awards this chowder won, but my guess was many. Being from Rhode Island, we always have an abundance of clam chowder, but crab chowder is different from the norm. It had bacon and jalapeno in it and corn bread sprinkled on top. Let's not forget a ton of crab. This was such an amazing chowder. There were so many different textures and flavors. I would totally order this again.
The "wow" factor was obviously my own personal cauldron
I could not have been any more excited for my next course. Pork belly sliders. Holy bacon. I ate a sandwich of almost all fat and it was amazing. It had a veggie slaw, aoli and huge pieces of pork belly in it. The sweet potato crisps on the side were also amazing. They melted in your mouth. A true gem.

Bacon.Fat.Delicious.


Toby decided on the Georgia Sea Scallops,which of course are local to Rhode Island. The most amazing pan seared sea scallops sat atop of cauliflower puree and Brussels sprout leaves. Wow. This dish was amazing. The scallops were cooked to perfection and the cauliflower puree was silky smooth. Home Run dish. We went to dinner with Toby' s Dad and step mother and their meals looked delicious also.
Scallops.brussels sprouts.cauliflower puree.yum

Overall this was an amazing meal and I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. This would be an amazing date spot, or a great place to have drinks with friends. Providence Restaurant Week is in two weeks. Stop by the Waterman Grille, you will leave happily full and satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment