Sunday, March 31, 2013

Lemony Dijon Pasta Salad



I love love love pasta salad!!! Now that the weather is getting warmer in New England I have had a hankering for pasta salad.I may be speaking too soon seeing it can be sixty degrees one day and snow the next. Either way, we are on our way to Summer!  I actually prefer pasta salad with a vinaigrette dressing instead of mayonnaise  Score for me that a vinegar based dressing has way less fat than mayonnaise.



I am surprisingly picky about what pasta I use in pasta salad. It annoys me to no end when people use ziti in pasta salad.Honestly, who does that? You can of course use whatever pasta types you prefer. I used a whole wheat small shell which was delicious! You can add endless toppings in pasta salad, but I went with some of my favorites to add to this salad. I added cherry tomatoes,celery,  red onion, scallions and feta cheese. The tartness of the lemon and Dijon pairs deliciously with the salty feta. For a healthy kick you can even add chickpeas. That would be yummy. Another trick I use for this pasta salad is to add the dressing when the pasta is still hot so it soaks up all of the yummy dressing. If the pasta soaks up too much of the liquid, before you serve it add more lemon and olive oil. This is something that you don't just have to save for a cookout.I make a large batch on Sundays and eat it all week for lunch. Yum!

What is your favorite Summer food you are craving ???

Lemony Dijon Pasta Salad
















Ingredients:
12 oz of pasta ( I used small shells)
3 ribs celery chopped
1/2 medium sized red onion chopped
3 scallions chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
1/2 cup feta cheese

Dressing
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice & zest of 2 lemon
1-2 tablespoons of dijon mustard

Directions: 
1. Cook pasta to packaged directions
2. While pasta is boiling chop celery, onion, scallion and tomatoes and add to a large bowl.
3. Mix all ingredients for dressing and add it to the vegetables. 
4. When pasta is al dente, drain and add to bowl while still warm. Mix and refrigerate for two hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment