Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Mom’s Equally as Famous Gravy (no not Brown Gravy)



I find this picture HILARIOUS
 So when I say gravy I mean tomato sauce…... like served on top of pasta.  People always fight over whether you call tomato sauce gravy or sauce etc. Most Italians I know call that red, velvety goodness served with pasta gravy. I grew up calling it gravy so gravy it is. Yes I call the brown gravy served with turkey in just a few more days gravy also (incase you were wondering.)

On Sunday when my Mom and I made our meatballs we also made a gravy. This sauce was enough to for about 16 meatballs in it and two pounds of pasta- Just enough to serve a small army probably. My Mom said it is just as much work to make a small sauce as it is a large one so it is easier to make one large sauce and freeze the rest for another time. It makes sense. I will use that advice. Also- I prefer a lot of sauce with my pasta because I love it, but traditionally in Italy pasta is not drenched with sauce. Go with what you like.



Here is my Mom’s yummy Gravy  Recipe :

Ingredients

1 link dry sausage (pepperoni- and she advised on Italian made pepperoni- who else makes it?) You can also use a pork chop, pork sausage, or beef also.)
3 Cans of tomatoes (your choice- she used crushed Pastene )
3 Cloves of Garlic
½ cup of water (depending on how thick you like your sauce)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp sugar

Directions:
Make sure pepperoni is room temperature and peel casing off. Chop into large chunks. Put in large pot on low. ( do not put any extra oil) It will give off a lot.

Peel and crush ( or chop your preference) and throw into large pot with pepperoni
My favorite part of the Gravy

Once garlic is tender and pepperoni is warm add three cans of tomatoes

Add tomato paste and ½ cup water (thins out the sauce a bit. The more it cooks the thicker it gets.)

My Mom adds sugar to her sauce to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes. I love the flavor it gives the sauce.

Turn heat to medium-low and let it simmer. KEEP STIRRING. If you stop the sugar may burn at the bottom of the pot.

( if you made meatballs add them now)


Raw Meatballs...Yeah, it seems gross, but its good.

Simmer for 1-2 hours  and it’s ready to eat! Yum!


Annnnnnd Your Done.


No comments:

Post a Comment